Click here to return to the Court Home page Bulletin Board: Unclaimed Funds
Bulletin BoardFront CounterFile RoomCourtroomsLaw LibraryCourthouse TourSite MapGuest BookPicture Picture Picture
Unclaimed Funds


What are Unclaimed Funds?

Unclaimed funds are funds held by the court for an owner who is entitled to the money, but who has either failed to claim ownership of the funds, failed to negotiate a payment of the funds, or cannot be located. Unlike most claims against the government, a claim for unclaimed deposit or registry funds is never extinguished. The claim exists in perpetuity and the funds may be claimed at any time by the owner, a successor, or any other petitioner that proves a right to the funds.

Search the Unclaimed Funds List

You can search for unclaimed funds by using the U.S. Bankruptcy Unclaimed Funds Locator:

Unclaimed Funds Locator

  1. Select CASB in the drop-down box labeled “Court”.
  2. To narrow your search, enter other fields in the search utility, as appropriate.
  3. Click on Search.

How Do I Claim These Funds?

The United States Courts, as custodians of the funds, have established policies and procedures for holding, safeguarding, and accounting for the funds. Click here for the procedures for claiming unclaimed funds from this court.

Unclaimed funds are subject to the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). The Treasury Offset Program is a centralized offset program, administered by the Bureau of the Fiscal Service's Debt Management Services (DMS), to collect delinquent debts owed to federal agencies and states (including past-due child support), in accordance with 26 U.S.C. § 6402(d) (Collection of debts owed to Federal agencies), 31 U.S.C. § 3720A (Reduction of tax refund by amount of debt), and other applicable laws.

  • If you are the debtor or individual creditor applying for a claim, complete form CSD 4014A - Application and Order for Payment of Unclaimed Funds (PDF-fillable) and follow the directions on the first page for submitting the application.
  • If you are a corporate entity or a funds locator, use form CSD 4014 - Application and Order for Payment of Unclaimed Funds (PDF-fillable).

Send the original application, including the Vendor Information Certification with your Social Security number or Tax ID, and all supporting documents to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, 325 West F Street, San Diego, CA 92101 (Attn: Finance Department). Also send a copy to the United States Attorney's Office:

United States Attorney's Office
Southern District of California
880 Front Street, Room 6293
San Diego, CA 92101

Searching for Unclaimed Funds for Other Courts

If you are searching for unclaimed funds at another bankruptcy court, please be aware that each bankruptcy court maintains its own unclaimed funds records. You may be able to use the unclaimed funds public search list to find unclaimed funds records at other bankruptcy courts:

  1. Access the Unclaimed Funds Locator.
  2. Select the other court's abbreviation in the drop-down list labeled "Court".
  3. To narrow your search, enter other fields in the search list, as appropriate.
  4. Click on Search.

Each bankruptcy court can provide information regarding the status of and/or application procedures for release of unclaimed funds at their court only.

Need Help?

Please contact the U.S. Bankruptcy Court – Southern District of California's Finance Department for further assistance in recovering the funds at this court: (619) 557-6213.

Court Mailing Address for Unclaimed Funds

United States Bankruptcy Court –
Southern District of California
Finance Department
325 West F Street
San Diego, CA 92101



General Information


Court Information
Court Phone List

Fee Schedule
Trustee Information

Mediator Rules
Mediator List

Noticing Procedure: Mailing Lists (Local Rule 2002-4)

California Bankruptcy Courts

Other Important Addresses
(Federal, State, & other agencies)

Judgment Rates
Treasury constant maturities 11
1 Year,  look under
"Week Ending"


Court Calendars


CARE Program

Seminars Disclosure

Judicial Misconduct
Job Vacancies