You are here


Can I file an electronic proof of claim in any chapter case?
Yes. The U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of California accepts electronically filed Proofs of Claims in all cases.

Do I need to attach the Official Form 410 Proof of Claim as an attachment?
No. The fillable form will create the Official Form 410 Proof of Claim.  Any attachments should consist of supporting documentation to the Proof of Claim.

Is a signature required on the Proof of Claim?
Yes, however, rather than an actual signature, your typed name will be your signature. Type the name and title, if any, of the person authorized to file the claim on behalf of the creditor. A copy of the power of attorney, if any, should be attached to the claim.

Can I include a separate mailing address for payments?
Yes.  Check the box indicating that the Payment Address is different from the Notice Address. An additional address field will appear for this alternate address for payments.

Can I get a stamp-filed acknowledgment of the Proof of Claim?
Yes.  After you submit the Proof of Claim, the claim number will display with a link to the electronically file-stamped proof of claim.  The claim will be file stamped as of the entry date. Just print or save a copy of the claim.

How soon is the proof of claim filed with the Court?
Proofs of Claims filed through ePOC are immediately posted to the claims docket and may be printed or electronically saved by the filer.

I am a creditor’s attorney and will be filing a claim on behalf of my client. How do I record the creditor address and my address as the attorney?
When filing the claim, there is a drop-down box on the first screen which allows you, the filer, to select who is submitting the claim.  The options are: Creditor; Creditor’s Attorney; Debtor; Debtor’s Attorney; or Trustee. If the attorney is the filer, you will be able to add the attorney name and address and select the creditor’s name from the listing of creditors in the case or if the creditor is not listed or listed incorrectly, you are able to add the correct creditor.  Both names and addresses will be added to the mailing matrix and displayed on the Claims Register.

I filed a claim and my attachments did not properly attach to the claim filed. How do I get the supporting documentation filed?
Attachments may only be added by filing an amended claim. Amendments cannot be faxed or mailed to the Court, the United States Trustee, or the chapter trustee’s office unless permission has been granted specifically to do so.

Complete the fillable claim form again, check the box (above Item 1. on the form) to indicate that the claim amends a previously filed claim.  Enter the previously assigned claim number and/or date of the initial claim. Then browse and attach your documentation. Submit the form.

When will the claim appear on the claims register?
The claim will immediately appear on the claims register upon submitting the proof of claim.

Will the Trustee be served with the Proof of Claim?
Yes.  The Trustee will receive notification of the claim filed.  You do not need to file a separate paper claim with the Trustee’s office.

I need to amend a claim.  How do I do this?
When completing the fillable claim form, check the box (above Item 1. on the form) to indicate that the claim amends a previously filed claim.  Enter the previously assigned claim number and/or date of the initial claim.

If my claim has been paid, should I file a Withdrawal of Claim?
No.  A withdrawal of claim is typically filed when the claim was filed in error and there are no funds due the creditor from the estate.  If you file a withdrawal of claim in a case where you have received distributions from the Trustee, the Trustee’s office will contact you regarding a refund of those funds.

At the time of filing my claim, I do not know the amount that is due.  How do I enter “Unknown” in the amount for the claim?
In the amount box, enter:  00.00.  Attach documentation to the claim explaining the reason that the 00.00 was entered.  Once you know the amount of the claim, file an amended claim.

Who can I call if I have questions?
For technical assistance regarding ePOC, please contact the bankruptcy clerk's office at 619-557-5620.  Please note, the clerk's office is prohibited from giving legal advice.