eSR is an online tool to help individuals prepare a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition when it has been decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney. However, before moving forward it advised that you visit Filing Without an Attorney.
Please note that the electronic submission of a bankruptcy package is currently only available for Chapter 7 cases and is not available to attorneys or bankruptcy petition preparers.
Due to the COVID-19 Outbreak, See Important Information Regarding Filing Fees for Self-Represented Litigants:
Please do not mail cash. The Court will accept payment by U.S. Postal Service money orders and cashier’s checks issued by an acceptable financial institution.
See General Orders for further details.
THIS ONLINE TOOL IS FOR DEBTORS ONLY
IMPORTANT WARNING: Bankruptcy has serious long-term financial and legal consequences and hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended. The Bankruptcy Court is not permitted to provide legal advice. Individuals filing for bankruptcy without an attorney are still responsible for knowing and following all of the legal requirements. Low or no cost legal resources are available in all divisions of the bankruptcy court. For additional information on hiring an attorney, click here.
What is eSR?
- eSR is an online tool to help individuals prepare a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition when they have decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney. eSR asks the user a series of questions and uses the data entered by the debtor to automatically populate official forms. After each section is completed, the applicable forms are available for viewing by the user. Upon completion, a unique bankruptcy package ID is assigned.
Who can use eSR?
- Individuals who wish to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy petition and who live in the Southern District of California can use eSR.
- eSR is not available for chapter 13 filings at this time.
- Important Note: eSR is not available to attorneys or bankruptcy petition preparers. eSR is not designed for business or corporate bankruptcy filings. eSR is only available for individual chapter 7 filings.
Why use eSR?
- There is no cost to use eSR. Pay only the chapter 7 bankruptcy filing fee.
- eSR has a guided, step-by-step process that allows you up to 45 days to complete your package and submit.
- Your personal information is only accessible to you using a unique login and password assigned to you.
- eSR is accessible 24 hours a day from any Internet-enabled computer.
- There is no software to download or purchase.
How do I use eSR?
- Obtain credit counseling from a court-approved credit counseling agency. The law requires credit counseling before filing bankruptcy.
- Collect all of your financial documents before you begin.
- Create a user profile, unique login, and password.
- Answer questions about your property, income and debts.
- Complete and sign the eSR Declaration form and SSN statement form that are emailed to you upon the Court's receipt of the eSR package.
Hand deliver or mail the completed Declaration form (CSD 1804), completed SSN statement form 121, chapter 7 filing fee OR a completed Application to Pay in Installments (CSD 1006) (if applicable) OR a completed Application to the Chapter 7 Filing Fee Waive (CSD 1020) (if applicable), Original copy of a Certification of Credit Counseling (if you have an electronic version, it must be printed)
- Note: If Official Form 101A - Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You is part of this bankruptcy petition package, you are required to serve a copy of this form on your landlord when you complete the instructions for filing for bankruptcy.
- Note: An automatic stay (injunction) is NOT in effect until a bankruptcy case number is issued by the bankruptcy court.
- Note: A bankruptcy petition is NOT considered “filed” (and does not receive a case number) until all of the above listed documents are received and processed by the court. Please note that the confirmation email that your eSR package has been submitted does not constitute filing. Documents must still be provided to the Court before filing commences.
- Note: eSR only allows a one-time submission. Any schedules or statements not completed at the time the eSR package is submitted cannot be completed later using eSR. All subsequent pleadings and amendments to pleadings must be filed in paper via mail or drop off at the San Diego courthouse: Jacob Weinberger United States Courthouse, Clerk's Office, 325 West F Street, San Diego, California 92101.
- You may get started using eSR by clicking here. You may also complete forms on a computer in the file review section of the Clerk’s Office.
Getting Started and using eSR:
It could take anywhere from three to six hours (may be done at one time or several sessions) to enter your information. You can speed up the data entry process if you have documents such as these readily available:
- A list of real property (real estate you own), its value, and a mortgage statement showing current loan balance.
- A list of personal property (e.g., household goods, vehicles, jewelry, etc .) you own and their values.
- Names and addresses of all the people to whom you owe money. It may be helpful to obtain a free annual credit report at www.annualcreditreport.com.
- Income documentation such as pay stubs, W-2s, or proof of income from other sources such as social security, disability, etc.
Two years of prior financial records (e.g. tax returns and bank account statements).
eSR Computer Requirements
- Internet connection
- Adobe Reader (version 8 or higher)
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled
- Browser requirements - It is recommended that you use the latest version of Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.
How to Restore your Petition package after it has already been submitted and you received a confirmation number but before your bankruptcy petition is officially filed:
- Log back into the Electronic Self-Representation website by clicking here.
- Click on Continue a Petition Packet Tab and login,
- Click on drop down #6:Petition Package on the left side panel. Then click on Review and Submit link,
- Click on the checkbox at the bottom of the page “To restore this petition and make it available for changes…”,
- Click on Restore Package button.
- For technical assistance regarding eSR, please contact the bankruptcy clerk's office at 619-557-5620 . Please note, the clerk's office is prohibited from giving legal advice.